Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Why Blog...

I used to blog many years ago when I was in high school and in college. "WOW" that sounds funny today it was many years ago for both 10 for high school and 6 for college. And I think I stopped doing it once Facebook got popular. Now I love my some Facebook LOL, so I am going to try and change my ways a little bit and try to write in my blog instead of Facebook or maybe I'll do both!

But the reason I am starting up this blog now is because at the beginning of 2011 I decided to look into Weight Loss Surgery.

 I’ve been heavy through all of my teen and adult life. I can remember adults when I was younger saying that I was just big boned and I would grow out of it, well I never did. I think it was their “Nice” way of saying that child is fat. I may have been a heavy person, but I never let it stop be from pursuing things I wanted in life. Like a relationship, learning how to drive, or graduating high school and going to college. I have tried losing weight in the past, but I never really think I was losing it for me I was losing it because someone else was pushing me to lose it.  During high school my parents had taken me to the doctors for something other than a weight issue and I ended up being put on a Medication that was to help you lose weight and I was only supposed to be on it for 3 months and that was it. Well the doctor thought he’d just fill it in the office for me. And it worked I was losing weight with it, but them we moved to a different city and I was never taken to my Drs. appointments  again. And the weight came back on.

            At the end of high school I met the first person I ever fell in love with and gave my whole heart to. I was with him for 6 years. And my weight was always an issue. And I would join weight watchers to please him and try to exercise with him to make him happy and it was never really for me. I did lose weight with it, but once I stopped going for whatever reason the weight would come back on. Being in a relationship where I was always judged on when I slept, or napped or exercised and for how long I exercised and it never being good enough really took a toll on me. So I was single for about 2 years after him and I met the most amazingly supportive man I could have ever hoped for in a man in Oct of 2009. He has been nothing but supportive and helps me through everything my ups and my downs. Even my breakdown and cry moments when all of the emotions of having WLS decided they want to meet and I cry lol. He pushes me when I need to be pushed and pulls me back when I go little too far. He’s everything I need.

After looking into Weight Loss Surgery at St. Vincent Charity Medical Center for Bariatric Surgery I went to a seminar. Later found out my insurance had indeed covered WLS, but I decided a bigger change was in store for me in my Career path and I left my first "REAL" job out of college in Mar. 2011  to take on a "temp" job for a Pharmaceutical Company that made Cancer treating drugs among others. I also gained a new title with this leave, I went from a Quality Control Tech. to a Quality Control Analytical Chemist and when from testing graphic art inks and pigments to tests in process Pharmaceuticals. Since I decided to take this career change my insurance of course changed and was horrible being a temp, so I had to put off WLS. After 6 months of being a temp I was contacted by another company for a full time position and this was a huge step in the right direction for me. I decided to take the interview and found out it was a Radio Pharmaceutical Company and I would be working nights instead of days, and benefits started day of hire and they were great benefits too. I started my new job Sept 2011.

I was still thinking about having WLS and it was running through my mind like crazy. Finally I decided to call St. Vincent Charity Medical Center for Bariatric Surgery and asked if I needed to sit through another seminar and asked my patient advocate to check my new insurance to see if it was covered. It was covered and my insurance company wanted me to do 6 months of medically supervised diet and exercise as well as have a psych consult. Next I set up my consult with Dr Aviv Ben-Meir. And then started my 6 months!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment