Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pre-op/ Pre Admission Testing

Yesterday started at about 6 am. I headed to the St. Vincent Medical Building at about 7 am and I got registered, and started right away with the tests. First test was a breathing test to see if I was fit to go under anesthesia, I had to sit down in the chair and breath in to a tube that was attached to a computer that measured my breathing. Took a few deep breaths, huffed and puffed and blew. And passed the tech who did the test said you look great only thing it says is your breathing could be better with a little bit of weight loss and I looked at him and said well good things I am scheduled for surgery then huh!! he-he. I also got my incentive spirometer to practice breathing at home and I will need to bring it with me to the hospital.


Next, I headed up the second floor and met with a really nice nurse and she asked me a bunch of medical questions and did my EKG which was prefect, I was kinda worried but I had one done a month a go and it was good too so I kinda knew it would be ok. After my EKG I went and had to get my blood work done, they were also very nice and got the needle in one the first try and no bruising today! 9 vials of blood!! I hopefully all of it comes back okay! I am sure it well! :)

I then met with the PA for the surgeon and she asked me a million and one questions also lol and I asked her about my hiatal hernia, the upper gi in Feb showed a slight one, so he is going to be fixing that as well with my surgery!

I had to meet with my doctor after all the poking and sticking of needles, he have me a prescription for Prilosec which I am already on and will have to take everyday for 3 months after surgery! and He gave me another one for 14 days with of 40mg injections of Lovenox. I will have to inject myself in the abdomen with it.

Then they collected my $$.

After that I had to small classes one was for hospital stay and what to expect the day of and days following in surgery. Tons of information I will need to reread over and over again. I have to do a bowel prep that is not going to be fun have to drink 3 bottles of Mag, Citrate the day before surgery and I am on a clear liquid diet that day as well. so its 1 1/2 bottles at 10am and 1 1/2 bottles at 1pm. Def not looking forward to this one bit.

Last class was Dietary Info. so for everyone who is interested here is the basics of how I will eat for the next months or so following surgery:
  • Day 1: Clear Liquid (the day I begin drinking in the hospital)
  • Day 2-14: Full Liquids
  • Day 15-17: Semi Liquid
  • Day 18-28: Puree (Begin fluid rules and limit meals to under 30mins)
  • Day 29-36: Soft Transitional
  • Day 37-44: Transitional
  • Day 45-on: Regular
The dietitian also gave me some samples to take home and I tried a few samples at the class, didn't like to many of them.

So with all of this info, I am set to go. I started my shopping, I bought a few night gowns to wear when I get home and a comfy soft warm blanket for the hospital.. gotta stock up on liquids and vitamins and protein and I should be set!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sweete,
    I can't believe how fast time is going, before you know it, you'll have had your surgery and home losing and becoming a brand new you.
    I'm with you all the way and so excited for you!
    If I can help in any way just let me know, but it sounds like you pretty much have it all together...stay positive!
    <3 Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, it may sound like Im all together, but Im still nervous and going crazy inside hehe. Thank you for your support! <3

      Delete